“Experience Appomattox” welcomes you to Historic Appomattox, where our nation reunited.
Conveniently located in the “Heart of Virginia” Appomattox invites you to experience the timeless, charming appeal of small town America.
For over 150 years, Appomattox has held the significance of being known as the place where our nation reunited in April of 1865. The Campaign, after which General Robert E. Lee surrendered the Army of Northern Virginia to General Ulysses S. Grant, effectively ended the American Civil War. Today, you can tour the village of Appomattox Court House, preserved as a National Historical Park, and view relics of the War at the American Civil War Museum. Continue your journey through history at Patrick Henry’s Red Hill and the Carver Price Legacy Museum as you learn about the steps Appomattox took from civil war to civil rights.
While you are in town, uncover the secrets that Appomattox has to offer, from our Broadway-style outdoor theater, Wolfbane Productions, to our Holiday Lake and hiking and biking trails. Unwind on the Falling River Golf Course, at a charming Evergreen Lavender Farm or browse our charming Main Street shops like Baines Books & Coffee. Enjoy local artisans like Kat’s Pottery at our semi-annual Appomattox Vintage & Artisan Market. Kick back and relax at our brand new Appomattox Inn & Suites Hotel or with a glass of Virginia wine and dinner, at the landmark Babcock House. Whatever your interests, there is something to experience in Appomattox.
TOURS & PROGRAMS
- Tour Appomattox Station Battlefield, one of the only Civil War battles that pitted Union Calvary under the command of General George Custer against Confederate Artillery.
- Visit Appomattox Court House National Park to attend “real time” programs, living history presentations, soldier encampments and ranger guided programs.
- Explore the American Civil War Museum which features more than 400 artifacts, photographs, and documents including the uniform coat & sword of Robert E. Lee. (Entrance voucher is good for a one time visit Friday through Monday 10 AM – 5PM)
PLAN YOUR VISIT
- 447 Old Courthouse Rd (434) 664-2018 *
- Enjoy a stay at the newly built Appomattox Inn & Suites and explore central Virginia where the past meets the present. We offer an ideal location to visit historical landmarks and enjoy outdoor activities at our beautiful local parks.
- The hotel features tastefully decorated, deluxe rooms and suites. Our variety of suites includes studios and kitchenettes. After you are all checked in, join us in the lobby and meet our staff in Cannons Café serving beer, wine, and light fare. The hotel is perfect for families, couples, small groups and corporate clients conducting business in the area.