Area Schools, Colleges, Universities
- Appomattox County Public Schools – info below
- Appomattox Christian Academy – info below
- Cornerstone Christian Academy – info below
- Central Virginia Community College – Lynchburg – two year public
- Satellite office in Appomattox
- Liberty University – Lynchburg – Christian – on-site and on-line
- University of Lynchburg – formally Lynchburg College-four year Christian
- Longwood University – four year public
ACPS – Appomattox County Public Schools Link
- Mailing: PO Box 548, Appomattox, VA 24522
- Board Office: 316 Court Street, Appomattox, VA 24522
- Phone: 434-352-8251 Fax: 352-0883 Brenda – Administrative & Board Assistant
- All our county public schools are FULLY ACCREDITED by the State of Virginia
- Third Year in a row – 2015, 2016, 2017
- March Division Digest 2018
- State of the Schools as of November 9, 2017 Power Point Review
Virginia’s Public Schools Ranked 6th in the Nation
- School Quality Profile – Virginia Department of Education
- Virginia has the 6th best school system in America for 2017. Article presented by staff at WDBJ ch7.
- Analysis included 50 states, plus the District of Columbia, were compared, using 21 key measures.
- Congratulations to all the Teachers, Boards, Superintendents, and Staff, for this accomplishment.
Primary School – K-2 grades
Elementary School – 3-6 grades
Middle School – 6-8 grades
High School – 9-12 grades
- Rankings – ACPS is one of two school divisions in Region 8 fully, accredited and Region 2000 with ALL schools fully accredited.
- 95% on-time graduation rate 2017
- Region 2000 – 5 School Districts Appomattox only one 100% fully accredited
- Region 8 – 12 School Districts Appomattox only one 100% fully accredited
College Prep Classes
While in High School:
- Duel enrollment with Community College (CVCC)
- Community College Classes
- College Preparation Classes
- Standard classes
- Advanced classes
- STEM classes
- Governor’s School
- Future Teachers – VA prospective teachers can now get their credential, with just a 4 year college degree. They can earn college credits while training in high school.
- Marching Band – VA Grand Champions 2017
- Languages-French-Spanish-Latin (on-line)
- Economics and Personal Finance
- Year Book
- Project Graduation
- Trade Classes
- Auto Technology-Vehicle Inspector License
- Culinary Arts certificate
- Vet Program
- Agriculture Program
- Farm Management
- Business Program
- Marketing Program
- Nurses Aid
- Drafting-Mechanical/Technical Drawing
- Nuclear Science
- Computer System Technology
- Athletic Training
- Floral Design
- Landscape & Greenhouse
- Child Development & Training
- CVCC – Community College – Satellite in Appomattox – limited classes
- Lynchburg – Additional Certificates 2018
- Fire & Emergency Medical Services
- Health Services Fundamentals
- Introduction to Hospital Management
- After School Programs
- Drone Club
- Day Care
- Computer access
- Adult education – GED+
- Cheer Leading
- Football – High School #1 Title in Virginia
- 2015, 2016, 2017
- Swim & Dive
- Golf – High School #1 Title Class 2 – Oct. 2017
- Second State win in 3 years
- Cross Country
- After school clubs
- Reading, writing and arithmetic are the fundamental staples of American education. However, the educational experience for students does not need to be confined to traditional courses. The Appomattox Elementary School(AES) offers students in third through fifth grades an opportunity to participate in alternative learning classes in its After School Clubs program.
- Science, Technology, Engineering,and Mathematics (STEM), Gardening,Sports, Coding, No-Cook Cooking,Spanish, Archery, Kids on Patrol(KOP), Carpentry, Nail Painting, Dance, Coloring, Cross-Stitch, Sign Language,and many more.
- After School Clubs create fun ways to learn skills. Times Virginian 11/17/2017
- Drone Club – Build, fly and repair unmanned aircraft for a variety of uses. Jason Clark, program instructor – ACPS granted two grants – News and Advance 2/10/2018
- Additional Accomplishments:
- Appomattox County High School SkillsUSA Team 3-Peat for State Title – 2018
- They placed 1st in their contest and are once again, STATE CHAMPIONS
- Bryce Gunter, Coach Mr. Jason Clark, Nathan Simpson, and Liam Bennett
- 12/12/2017 The Virginia Board of Education voted last month to become the first state to adopt mandatory computer science standards for all students.
- 12/11/2017 Governor McAuliffe ordered the Virginia Board of Education to implement an emergency regulation that would allow the state’s public colleges and universities to start offering undergraduate students a major in education by March 1, 2018.
Appomattox Christian Academy
Appomattox Christian Academy (ACA) is the oldest Christian school in the county of Appomattox. We boast small class sizes, at all stages of academics, with individualized instruction from passionate, classically-trained teachers.
Their methodology is Classical. Their theology is Christian, Protestant, and Reformed.
As a mission of St. Andrew’s Reformed Episcopal Church, Appomattox Christian Academy is able to educate the whole child: Body, Mind, and Spirit beginning as young as 3 and continuing through graduation at 12th grade.
* Sylvan Learning
* Accredited by the Association of Classical Christian Schools
* Virginia Council for Private Education ( VCPE)
* 1916 Redfields Road, Appomattox, VA 24522
Cornerstone Christian Academy
Cornerstone Christian Academy is a Classical, Christian school dedicated to providing excellence in academics while instilling Christian values and ethics. They are divided into four “schools” within one: preschool K4-K, 1st-6th grades, 7th-8th grades, and 9th-12th grades. Their student/teacher ratios are small to allow teachers to invest in each student at his or her level. Their staff members are highly qualified and feel a sense of calling to serve their Cornerstone families through this ministry.
* 169 Police Tower Road, Appomattox, VA 24522